Wednesday, June 23, 2010

CATS!

"Narayani, inga va!" (Narayani, come here), called out my grandma when we visited her at Aurangabad. Assuming it was the maid she was addressing, I peered into the kitchen. The said Na-ra-ya-ni had four paws and a mew. Surprise. As she slurped a dishful of milk, a laughing cousin informed me that her daughter was called 'Kalyani'. The names, courtesy our dear granny of course.

Granny wasn't really an animal lover, but somehow she seemed to have taken to Mrs. Narayani and her offspring. Nevertheless, she warned us against getting too close to furs. To add emphasis to her point, she told us the story of a man in the neighbourhood whose cat one day suddenly decided to claw his face and draw blood.

When I was a toddler, I once visited Mysore with my parents. We stayed with my father's aunt, a sprightly woman in her seventies whose ancient widow's costume and shaven head teased my curiosity even as they gave her a formidable appearance. In her backyard was a litter of kittens. She would put out milk for them every morning. Now and then I would steal quick glances at them till one of them mewed at me, sending me scampering into the house. As a child I was scared of cats and terrified of dogs.

Some very weird people like cats. Like T.S. Eliot and Roger Maioli.

Must admit people think up great names for pets when they use their imagination. Tanmay is certain the decentest pet's name would be 'Newton'. Then there is Rog's imaginary future cat called 'Shmul' (never asked him where he got that name from or if he made it up) which will keep him company as he pores over tomes of hard-bound, gold-embossed books and sips steaming coffee.

My granny used to tell me when cats shut their eyes they assume the world disappears. Whoosh!

9 comments:

  1. What your granny said makes sense, It really does disappear for them. I have had cats since the day I have been born and I have had one cat sleeping somewhere near me always. Right now I have three. Coffee, Mini Coffee and KFC(both his daughters), his wife Tea, left him after delivering the kids. They are the best people I know. You must have seen pictures of them on Facebook. You don't like them still?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Good one. Although I would prefer to have a yellow lab dog named Newton. With cats you don't really know what goes on in their brains. So I guess Newton would do well for a cat as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am fonder of animals now. Ah, how could I forget mentioning the ginger cat in college? You know the one who roams around royally everywhere. She is more regular in my 7:25 CSK class than many students. And she knows no fear -- hops right onto desks, tables, laps!

    Yesterday she visited the department room, took a stroll along all four walls, surveyed everything and left with a satisfied expression.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! She has a name. Slutty Kitty, since she is pregnant all the time. And yes she hops into my lap anytime without warning! Why don't you take one of her latest kittens home?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Umm... I am still only "fonder" of animals. From a distance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coffee, Mini Coffee, Tea, KFC! Wow, the coolest of names! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dr Johnson was fond of cats too. His cat was formidable. His name was... he had a name.

    Let me check.

    Hodge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Nor would it be just under this head, to omit the fondness which he shewed for animals which he had taken under his protection. I never shall forget the indulgence with which he treated Hodge, his cat; for whom he himself used to go out and buy oysters, lest the servants, having that trouble, should take a dislike to the poor creature. I am, unluckily, one of those who have an antipathy to a cat, so that I am uneasy when in the room with one; and I own, I frequently suffered a good deal from the presence of this same Hodge. I recollect him one day scrambling up Dr. Johnson's breast, apparently with much satisfaction, while my friend smiling and half-whistling, rubbed down his back, and pulled him by the tail; and when I observed he was a fine cat, saying "why, yes, Sir, but I have had cats whom I liked better than this"; and then as if perceiving Hodge to be out of countenance, adding, "but he is a very fine cat, a very fine cat indeed.""

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha... cats... we had tons of them in TISS... all colours and all sizes... they were the most pampered lot in the girls hostel, ad of course envied by the men!

    ReplyDelete